An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What is a fan?

What is a fan?

A fan is someone who decides to follow and cheer for a team or personality.  A fan is usually loyal by definition and will go to great lengths to show they support their chosen.  On occasion, a fan’s loyalty will be tested by a single or series of dramatic or embarrassing events.  These events can be related to player controversy, ownership struggles or different politics that may affect the chosen franchise.  The Islanders Dynasty from 1979 to 1983 saw the team become an icon in professional hockey.  They were the best of the best and everyone respected the level of talent, leadership and heart, three traits that they personified.  But that was then.

Islander fans were tested in this way. To quote Fish Sticks: The Fall and Rise of the New York Islanders" by Peter Botte, “Kirk Muller balked at being traded to the team; the team's classic logo was replaced with one that was vehemently ridiculed, earning the team the nickname "Fish Sticks"; a slick con artist managed to buy the team with nothing more than his charm; the team failed to make the playoffs seven seasons in a row as miserly owners purged players salaries; Hall of Fame great Bryan Trottier feuded with the team and blocked the retirement of his jersey; embattled general manager "Mad Mike" Milbury couldn't do anything to get himself fired. Yet, having finally hit bottom after enduring countless trials and near-unbelievable tribulations.”

Aside from a rebirth year in 92-93 where coach Al Arbour made things interesting with a great team of surprising youth and tempered veterans who knocked the back to back Pittsburgh Penguins off and when 01-02 came through with a new owner in Charles Wang, Peter Laviolette and a team led by Michael Peca and Alexi Yashin, the Islanders again made a run and showed what could be.  Each time, the fans returned to cheer on their team.

In the 90’s a team led by Mike Milbury seemed to test the loyal fan base of the Islanders, and the team had had some tough times for most of the time since then.  What did I rehash all of this.  I want to truly explain what a fan is.  At least to me.

I am a fan.  I am a fan of the New York Islanders.  I follow them all season long watching each game and monitoring progress and failure.  I pay attention to prospects, drafting, minor league players and keep and ear out for any and all rumors about my team.  My family had to embrace me or find someway of tolerating my madness.  I infected most of them.  My fiancé, who wasn’t a fan until she met me has made me proud.  She is almost as rabid and as passionate as I am about them.  My days, nights and weekends are made or lost with each win or loss.  My mood is influenced by the status of the team.  I have maintained my passion as Islander fan ever since I watched Billy Smith redefine the position of goal.  Since then, I have become a huge goalie fan and scholar.

What is fan?  A true fan.  People like me who have no gains to make by their love and support of the team other than a feeling of pride for what we yearn to see and feel again.  The days of glory relived with new players in the modern age of the NHL.  Thanks to Mr. Wang and Mr. Snow and the support of loyal thousands who endured the mockery, swallowed the punch lines and endured the embarrassments knowing that pride is something that is tempered through failure and heart.  I am a fan who is grateful for the new blood that seems to be coming of age.  I wanted to acknowledge the whole 2010-11 team for what they built.  I am most grateful for players like Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Grabner, Nielsen, Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic for the skill they bring. I am confident that players like DiPietro, Montoya and Poullin will work at protecting our nets.  I am thankful for players like Konopka, Martin, Haley and Gillies for their demand of respect and the heart they bring each night.

I am encouraged to see what the draft and summer will bring.  I will await the season with the hopes of continuing our progress to respectability and building a winner.  I have faith in ownership, management and coaching.  But most of all, I believe in the Islanders.  Why?

Because I am a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment