An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Monday, March 25, 2013

A Tough Week


In their four game homestand, the Islanders got 2 of a possible 8 points, but still remain 2 points out of eigth spot (Rangers) at 14-15-3 with 31 pts, behind Washington and Carolina.  The Isles fell to Ottawa 5-3, Montreal by a 5-2 score and Pittsburgh 4-2 on the last homestand.  These games had elements of strong efforts by the Isles in each with some horrible officiating, and bad breaks.  This being said, the team needs to put themselves in a position to overcome adversity whenever possible.  There were some lost leads, fragile confidence levels and 3rd period melt downs that have become so prevolent in the Isles game this season.  The commonality that I see is Coach Capuano's inability to stabilize his team and lead them into the future.  Unaddressed inconsistencies yield a losing culture.

 

The final game was a long standing 1-0 lead vs Florida that ended up being a 3-0 win with empty net goals from John Tavares and Casey Cizikas.  This was a tightly played contest against a struggling team.  Evgeni Nabokov was huge in net and the team kept it together.  It seems that efforts like this are maintained in spite of Coach Capuano and I almost cringe as the team fights on and limps behind the final playoff spot because it means Capuano's job would seemingly be safe.  I feel like he would remain the coach and be credited with keeping things afloat, where I give more credit to the maturation of the young and improving team in these comebacks instead of their head coach.

 

As an Isles fan, I want everyone in the organization to succeed, but cant stay quiet about my feelings on their shortcomings.  Whatever the answer, the Isles are still in the hunt with the final part of the season coming up. 

 



 

Isles Notes:


The Islanders have a four game road trip against Washington on Tuesday @ 7pm, Philadelphia on Thursday @ 7pm, Pittsburgh on Saturday @ 1pm and New Jersey on Monday @ 7pm.


Per @andystrickland, Told Isles have begun peliminary talks with D-man Lubo Visnovsky.


Anders Lee scores as Notre Dame captures CCHA title.  "For us to go out there and win the last CCHA Tournament is very special and something we'll always remember," said Lee.

 

Sound Tigers Notes:


Did You Know: In his last seven starts, goaltender Rick DiPietro is 5-2-0 with a 2.12 GAA & a .922 SV%.

 
Anders Nilsson Skating With the Sound Tigers.      

 

 

Personal Message:


I have had a rough week as well.  My Mom fell and broke her hip on Saturday, 3/16 & my Fiance had spinal fusion surgery on 3/18.  While the love of my life was enduring a slow and painful recovery, I left her for hours at a time and I took my Dad back and forth to a Hospital in another state until Thursday when I went to Boston on buisness for the weekend. Then my Dad got into an accident alone while coming back from visiting Mom in the Hospital this past Saturday.  He was taken to our local Hospital.  I had to work out mistakes by said Hospitals and Physical Rehabs from my cell phone, and returned home around 5 am on Sunday.  Then, I had to visit both Parents in different states on Sunday and organize a plan for the upcoming week.  While I was trying to settle or maintain affairs for my Mom and Dad today, I learned that a close friend lost his battle with cancer.  I am destroyed.


I am not sure how focused I can be on hockey, but I will try and use it as a tether to my sanity with the help of my family and friends. 

 
Thanks again to everyone who visits KoC.



***********************************************************************************************************************************


A part of me died today with my friend Mike that will never return. I love you and miss you Brother.

Rest in Peace Michael Dennis.

May 18, 1982 - March 25, 2013
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment