An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Star Wars Night: Isles & Sound Tigers Style


Most of my supporters here at KoC know I am a member of the 501st, an official Lucas Film costume group that make appearances for charity and promotions for Star Wars sponsored events. Recently, I had the pleasure of attending Star Wars nights at the Webster Bank Arena, home of the Isles affiliate, Bridgeport Sound Tigers as well as a Star Wars night at the Barclays Center for our own New York Islanders.


Now, I realize a man dressing like a plastic spaceman might seem nerdy to a few of you and maybe even a bit of a mid-life crisis, but let me make my case. Since I joined the 501st in 2015, I found it a hugely rewarding experience. Not only do I get to be around selfless people who share my childhood passion, but we also work hard to help local and national charity’s raise money for many causes that are near and dear to my heart. And having my wife and personal friends join up and participate makes these events even more special to me.


As members, we put together movie quality costumes that meet strict standards of Lucas Film and the 501st. We meet at local or NY based locations from Long Island to the Hudson Valley and lend our support through fundraising, charity work and volunteering for select appearances. I can’t really explain in words how a Troop (the term for one of our appearances) helps reinforce the spirit of a child, their family or someone whose health or situation has made life a challenge, day in and day out. 


I’ve gone to Sloan Kettering Hospital, Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital, Intrepid Museum community events or local Library’s and have had profound experiences that I’ll never forget. While I won’t get into the specifics of my experiences from a children’s cancer ward or an event to support the homeless, I can share a brief visual history of my Troops in Bridgeport and In Brooklyn from the last few weeks. It might help you see why what we do means a lot to a great many people.


Bridgeport Sound Tigers Star Wars Night
Our Dressing Room on BST Star Wars Night


Some Unforgettable Fans






New York Islanders Star Wars Night

Our Dressing Room on Isles Star Wars Night

Me and the Maestro

The Fans and Friends Experience




Relationship Goals. My wife and I making a difference.

If you think you might have what the Empire is looking for, go to 501ECG.com (@501ecg) and 501st.com (@501stLegion) for more details. In the meantime, see you here at KoC and on the concourse.


TI13222 Signing Off ...




Oh, and I'll have a full Isles to Belmont official announcement blog up tomorrow after the press conference.

Per Jim Baumbach of Newsday, "The hockey team was informed Tuesday that its proposal to build a new arena at Belmont Park in Elmont was selected as the winning bid, according to people familiar with the situation." 




Isles Notes:



Calvin de Haan had an MRI and has been listed as day-to-day. Per Arthur Staple, “Isles will look at all options, cited Toews and Aho in BPT, but feels seven D they have up now can make up for CdH’s absence.” Thomas Hickey has been taken off IR and will most likely get a conditioning sting with the BST.


Per Chris Botta, “Isles announced attendance in Brooklyn this week: Mon: 11,000 Wed: 10,000 Sat: 13,000 Nassau Coliseum isn’t an NHL building, but neither is the Barc. There’s your argument for playing in Nassau next few years before Belmont. Bet Tavares would be all for it, too.”


12/15   Isles recalled Bernier and sent Josh Ho-Sang to Bridgeport.
Per Arthur Staple, “Weight said today he needed more "professionalism" from his bottom two lines. Translation: More consistency and stability. JHS was starting freewheel last few weeks. Bernier will not for however long he's up.”


Per Brian Compton, Weight: "We're running with Jaro a little bit. He's earned it. It doesn't have to be a controversy. The fact is he's playing pretty well right now. He's going to play the majority until things change."



Sound Tigers Notes:


Eamon McAdam (G) has been reassigned to Bridgeport from the @RailersHC.




No comments:

Post a Comment