An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Draft Party and the New York Islanders

On Friday, I made my way to the Coliseum to see some people I know from the Islander Mania website for a pre-draft party … party..  They are a great bunch of people.  Each year, we make it a point to gather, eat and share stories about our common long-suffering dependency. 

Of being a fanatical Islanders’ fan.

After spending some time outside, wandering the grounds and getting a few autographs on my new KoC jersey from class acts like the Trevor Gillies, Travis Hamonic, Matt Martin, Kevin Poulin and Michael Haley, I was ready to renew my draft party experience.  The Islanders always throw a great gathering and have a lot of fun things for the fans to do until the draft starts.  Oh yeah, I also was lucky enough to get my jersey signed by Butch Goring and Bobby Nystrom as well.  A thrill for me since this was the first time I ever asked anyone for an autograph, and I got 7.



Fans were able to sign petitions and join the Isles’ booster club and take part in a myriad of games and activities.  I finally waited on line to check out the locker room and take in the atmosphere and mystique of the wall plaques and imagine all the moments that happened in there.  The teachings of Al Arbour, the challenges issued by teammates and the moments that built a dynasty that turned a group of men into a four-time champion.

What it also reminded me of was the present.  More importantly, the group of players assembled by Garth Snow look like they have shown what will be.  If the room stays together and continues to be tempered in the forge of experience, I may be able to feel like I did when I was younger.  For the first time since 92-93, I have a group of players to watch that I not only have gotten to like and cheer for, but with each new added piece, feel like being good wont just be something to I need to settle for.  I think they will continue to take the next step and reward Charles Wang for all the patience and resources given to build a winner on Long Island again.

If you need a reminder to vote on August 1st, look to the past to see the future of the New York Islanders.  With players like this, is there any doubt that they want to win here.



No comments:

Post a Comment