An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Brian Rolston, Trent Hunter, Garth Snow and Glen Sather

Today, the Isles acquired 6’2, 215 pound F Brian Rolston from the New Jersey Devils.  Trent Hunter will be going to the Devils in return.  Last season for the Devils was the worst in quite some time, before they came back during the second half in similar fashion to the Islanders.  Rolston, 38, scored 14 and 20 for 34 points and had a -6 rating in 65 games for New Jersey last season.   Rumor has it that he waived the no-trade clause in his contract to join the Islanders.  "It's been a rough ride in Jersey," Rolston told The Star-Ledger. "I'm actually happy to go to a place that wants me."
 
What I don’t like is that the Islanders helped the Devils clear cap space in this trade.  This move gives the Devils about $8 million in cap space to pursue RFA Zach Parise, the NHL star player that every Islander fan raged about not selecting in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.  While I think one could say it does make the Islanders better, I would have to say this was an opportunity to make an easy swap to come closer to the cap floor and unload an injury prone player.  Hunter has been beset by injuries over the last couple of seasons, so the move is not a suprising one.  I have always appreciated Hunter's spirit, work ethic and pride in being an Islander.  I wish him all the best. With the trade, Rolston brings an aging, though still capable veteran skill set, and a winning mindset to the team. 

Gotta love the honesty of my (a title unknown to him, I’m sure) Mentor, Chris Botta with his observation today.  “Isles loved Brian Rolston so much, they passed on him every time his $5 mill was on waivers last season.”

Snow had this to say on Rolston, "I think on the ice, he's a player that can play the point on the power play and he has a cannon from that position," Snow said. "He kills penalties, he's got great leadership qualities and he's a great veteran presence for us in the locker room. He has tremendous work ethic and is still a very strong skater. We're excited to have him as an Islander now."  Snow also admitted having interest in bringing Rolston to the Islanders in 2008.  Rolston told newsday’s Kattie Strang, " (I'm) super happy to get traded to the Islanders, a team that's got a bright future and is ready to make the next step," he said when reached by phone. "I'm excited to join the group."  He added, "I appreciate the fact that he  (Garth Snow) sees what he sees in me," Rolston said. "It really means a lot to me. He believes I can help this team and I won't let him down."

Rolston’s accolades are many.  He is a four-time 30-goal scorer, played with the Devils, Avalanche, Bruins and Wild, during which he was selected to play on the Western Conference All-Star Team.  Originally selected by New Jersey in the first round (11th overall) of the 1991 National Hockey League Entry Draft, Rolston won the Stanley Cup during his rookie season with the Devils in 1994-95.  He was a member of three World junior Championships from 91-93, one World Championship in 1996 and two World Cups, winning in 1996 and participating in 2004.  Rolston is a three time Olympian in 1994, winning silver in 2002 and participating in 2006.

 

Isles Notes:

Happy Birthday to Islanders General Manager, Garth Snow.

Rangers’ General manager, Glen Sather urged all Hockey and Ranger fans on Long Island in Nassau County to vote Yes on August 1st for the new arena proposal.  I have experienced, yes I am about to say this, some cool Ranger and Devils fans over the past couple of months who actively support the Islanders and their struggle to remain in Nassau County.  I salute these people on their fellowship of Hockeydom and appreciate their support.  May the rivalry live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment