An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chris Osgood Retires

Chris Osgood has retired from the NHL as a Goaltender.  He finishes 4th all-time with 15 postseason shutouts, 8th all-time with 74 playoff wins and 10th all-time with 401 regular-season wins.  When asked about his HOF credentials, he said “It means the world to me to get into the Hall of Fame. It means a lot and hopefully one day it happens.”  Paying tribute to others that influenced his play; Osgood thanked Mike Vernon as 'instrumental for making him the goalie he was' and Hasek 'for helping me take my game to the next level.'

When reflecting on his career and his loyal fans, Osgood said, “If I could stand up and cheer them, I would. I just want to say thank you.”  He will remain with the Detroit Redwings as a goaltending consultant.

Chris Osgood played 110 Games as an Islander during the 2001 and 2002 seasons.  He guided the Islanders to their last playoff appearance, losing to the Toronto Maple Leafs in 7 games.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment