An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Monday, August 22, 2011

We are all Islanders.

Back on August 1st, a third jersey concept for the Islanders 2011-2012 season was leaked and picked up on the Internet. 


The Islanders PR machine quickly responded that it was only one of the concepts being considered at this time.  Today, Icethetics.info claimed to have confirmation that was indeed the third jersey to be worn by the Isles for a handful of games this season.  CB gives them credibility on such rumors.

Since it was leaked, a majority of the loyal fans and the Isles hate machine rejected the design and called for a re-do.  A short time after that, people became obsessed with hating on the new design.  They became agitated on all of the Isles Blogs and on twitter, and spoke of how it was another black eye on the season before it has even started.  I am not thrilled with the jersey, but its not terrible, its just not uniquely Isles.  The orange third jersey used from 02-03 until 06-07 was even a better fit in my opinion.



But seriously, I think everyone should relax and not get distracted.  I get how we all have free agent envy, and the vote failed and most fans feel like the Islanders can’t even get a jersey concept correct.  I think posting 5 concepts and letting the fans vote was the way to go.  I gave that suggestion on twitter right after I saw the new design, but who am I?  Well, I am a die-hard fan.  Perhaps a redundant title because anyone who is still a fan must be called diehard at this point.  I understand new jerseys mean new revenue to the team from a loyal fan base.  Some fans will buy what ever the team puts out and they know this.  I am almost this bad, but I at least waited for the classic logo to return to the wave jersey before I even considered grabbing one.



I think we should not over react.  Lets keep the faith and hope for some trades, waiver pick-ups and some good luck to come our way.  We have a lot to be excited about with this team.  Islander country is wrought with well-written articles on top prospects, young talent and a solid base that has the potential to return us to a competitive playoff team in the near future.  All I am saying is stay true and keep letting this stuff roll off your back.  We can take it.  Lets not allow those hipsters who have made Islander-bashing one of today’s hottest trends feel satisfied.  We should refuse to allow the media to get us riled up about this or anything else we have to deal with.  I know we have had a few embarrassing moments, but we will get through it.

I would just like to see everyone chill out and come together and be more positive about the team, especially in public.  We need to give the haters less ammunition when it comes to our passion.  As a die-hard Islander fan, I am calling out to my battle brothers and sisters.  Relax and keep focus on the prize.  Don’t sweat the small stuff.

We are all Islanders.


No comments:

Post a Comment