An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rick DiPietro: The Aftermath Of Being Waived


News12's Kevin Maher's interview with Rick DiPietro can be found here.
 

Kevin Maher:  DiPietro told me Isles waiving him felt like, "they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet."  I asked DiPietro if he thinks he's still part of the Islanders future plans. He said, "I don't know."  DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.
 

Garth Snow's official response to DP's comments, "We are aware of Rick’s comments today and the severity of them. We will handle them internally as we do with all player matters. This is an opportunity for Rick to play lots of games in Bridgeport.”


Kevin Maher, "While I appreciate the retweets I think it's awful to see what some Islanders fans are saying about DiPietro. Borderline disturbing stuff."


Rick DiPietro later stated that he was kidding about the suicide threats and that he has a dark sense of humour.  This sentament was mirrored by colleagues and reporters.  When I watched the interview, I saw depression and a real sense of frustration in Rick DiPietro, and rightfully so.  He has endured a lot and still struggled to compete.  He has my respect and I will always appreciate his heart.  He credits his wife as a stabilizing force in his life during all the challanges he was forced to endure.
 

However, to say he didn't see this waiver wire move coming after his play over the last couple of seasons, I say how did you not?  What is important now is doing the best he can in Bridgeport.  If he can somehow overcome his injuries, maybe he can come back with a team who believes he can still play.  
 
 
If that happens, where might that be?  We will see.

 
 

 
 


Isles Notes:

 
Per Arthur Staple, "In actual on-ice news, Rick DiPietro will start for BST tomorrow night in Hartford. Scheduled to play Sunday vs. Whale in BPT as well."



No comments:

Post a Comment