An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Travis Hamonic: No Man Is An Island


Yesterday in my game 5, playoff ending recap, I mentioned Jack Capuano hinting that Travis Hamonic might remain with the team.  Today, Arthur Staple reported that Newsday learned that Hamonic had indeed rescinded his trade request.  So it looks like the top tier defensemen wants to remain an Islander for the long term.


Hamonic was vague when the news of his trade request broke, but it seems the pending health concerns for an 'extremely close' family member have lessened and he no longer feels a need to leave New York.  “It was a tough, trying year, but I obviously had the support of the organization and my teammates throughout the whole thing and I couldn’t be more thankful for that,” Hamonic said. “In the last little while, we’ve learned that the situation has stabilized itself, so first and foremost [I’m] just relieved for that, thankful for that and pretty grateful for that.”


Islanders’ fans should also be grateful to have a player of Hamonic’s caliber so devoted to the Isles organization, team mates and fan base.  “I love it here,” Hamonic said. “I wouldn’t have signed my seven-year deal if I didn’t like it here. I love it. I love living here and everything that being an Islander is. I couldn’t be more ecstatic, especially to know that things back home stabilized and I think that’s the main thing. I couldn’t be more grateful.”  It would have been easy for Hamonic to demand a trade to western Canada early in the season, but he made it clear to the press that he would wait until the off-season if it took that long for Garth Snow to make a deal that would help the team.  The truth is that even with a comparably skilled player in return, Hamonic’s term (4 years remaining of a 7 year deal) and salary ($3.86M per) were almost irreplaceable for New York.   Hamonic even tied a career high with 5 goals (& 16 assists for 21 pts) last season to help his team reach the 100 point mark for the second consecutive campaign.


Hamonic’s character and dedication to Long Island, Brooklyn and the Isles community has been well documented.  I found him to be respectful and pleasant to fans in and around the Coliseum and noticed he seemed proud to be a member of the Islanders organization, even back when the team’s outlook on the upcoming season wasn’t so sunny.


"I love it here & want to be here & want to win a Cup here. I never wanted to leave here and couldn't be happier to stay here."  I am thrilled that he will be in the mix for years to come.





Isles Notes:


Islanders cleaned out their lockers at IceWorks today.   


Per Staple, “Okposo confirms there's been no contract talks all year between his agent and GM, Garth Snow.”

“Thomas Greiss is headed to World Championships to pitch in for Germany. Flying to Russia tomorrow.”


Brett Cygalis, “Frans Nielsen said the ball is in Snow's court if they want him back. "I love being here, I would love to come back, but we'll see."



Shannon Hogan reported, “(Anders) Lee had been skating and said there was a possibility he could have been back for Game 7 Thursday.”


No comments:

Post a Comment