An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Would Jiggs McDonald Rejoin Broadcast Team?


Over his illustrious career, Foster Hewitt Memorial Award winner and HHOF broadcaster, Jiggs McDonald has returned to his familiar place behind the mike and in front of the camera for many NHL appearances.  Most notably, coming back home to fill in and do special events for his very own, New York Islanders.  While Jiggs had the call for Los Angeles, Atlanta, Toronto, Florida and several other nationally televised appearances for numerous networks, including NBC over his storied career, his transition to the booth in New York was his true calling.  His initial tenure coincided with the dynasty years, calling games alongside “18” himself, Eddie Westfall for some of the greatest moments in team history.


To me, McDonald will always be the voice of the franchise, dating back to calls on 3 of the 4 championship seasons, for great teams of the 80’s and through the magical run with the 1993 squad.  In some return engagements, he was even there to host the team’s 25th anniversary ceremony and as retirement MC for many ceremonies and celebrations throughout their history.  McDonald has been a regular replacement in the broadcast booth for lead Islanders play-by-play man, Howie Rose, over the years.  Rose has held the official job since 1995, but Informed MSG officials yesterday that he would be stepping down from that post immediately, citing a desire to reduce his workload.  Rose will remain as the play-by-play voice of the Mets on WOR.  “It’s the textbook definition of mixed emotions. That’s exactly what it is. I don’t know that I’ve ever been more conflicted about a decision I have had to make in my life,” said Rose. “But I’m confident I made really the only one I could make at this point in time in my career and life.”


So, with the news of Rose stepping down, the speculation on who would replace him on Islanders’ broadcasts started to make waves throughout the media.  Last night, I asked Jigg’s if he would consider taking a more active role by sitting in with Islanders legend, longtime friend and Isles color man, Butch Goring, and be a regular play-by-play commentator for the 2016-17 season and beyond if he was asked to do so.  “I've been thinking of that since getting Howie's email earlier today--so much to consider. Would MSG and the team be comfortable with that? Health wise, I think I could give them a year. From a purely selfish standpoint- it would be a storybook ending to fifty NHL seasons in the booth. Hmmmm I have to sleep on this.”


So this morning, I rushed to my phone to see what a good night’s rest would mean for this monumental decision.


“If asked I would run...if elected I would serve. We'd get ‘er done somehow!!!”


And while I’d like to see Rick DiPietro take more of a role in the booth for the future, the choice for next season is very clear to me.  It’s the @RealJiggsMcD.  Your Move MSG.



McDonald and Goring 2016!


I'll have more in a full interview with Jiggs in the coming days.



Isles Notes:


Brock Nelson and Team USA will take on Czech Republic in the quarterfinal round of IIHFWorlds.


Thomas Greiss and Team Germany will take on Russia in the quarterfinal round of IIHFWorlds.


Per Arthur Staple, “Got word last night that Jaro Halak needs surgery to repair a sports hernia. Not sure if he's had it yet. 6-8 week recovery.”


No comments:

Post a Comment