An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Knight of Cups: A Look Back On The First Year




As Islander fans, we have endured much.  I became a fan watching my childhood Idol, Billy Smith lead the New York Islanders to 4 consecutive Stanley Cup Championships.  It could have been more if the NHL didn’t change the playoff format in response to the Isles success, but that is another story.  I watched Pat LaFontaine win it in the Easter Epic and Ziggy Palffy give me hope again.  I watched Pierre Turgeon and Glen Healy help me believe again in 1992-93.  I watched Tommy Salo help win two consecutive minor league IHL Turner Cups for the Isles affiliate, Denver, then Utah Grizzlies.  I watched Shawn Bates keep hope alive in the 2001-02 playoffs.  I teared up as I watched John Tavares drafted first overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft to signal the start of what I want to believe is something great again for the team I am passionate for.  I am a fan of the New York Islanders and I started “Knight of Cups” in May of 2011 after a conversation with blogger and writer, Dee Karl of Hockey Buzz.



On April 8th, 2011, I was in Doolin’s pub in the depths of the NVMC with my buddy Terry before the Isles vs. Pens game.  I recognized someone who came into the dining room from her online avatar on one of the Isles blogs I followed.  Her name was Dee Karl, I introduced myself and we talked a little about the season, the team and the players.  I told her I used to write a lot, but not so much anymore, and that I always wanted to write a hockey blog. After our conversation, she encouraged me to write it.  A few weeks later, I did.  Having always been interested in Medieval Europe and a geek who liked Lord of the Rings and tales of magic and mysticism, I settled on Knight of Cups for a title.  I felt that it would suit me and related to the history of Long Island’s hockey dynasty through my eyes.



On May 4th, I wrote an intro article entitled, “What is a Fan?”  It was my way of coming into the blog and setting the stage for my entry into the Isles blogesphere.  Since then, I have followed several talented people on the web and in Twitter to get my information.  Being a non-credentialed blogger, I rely on hockey writers and fellow bloggers and fans for my information.  I try to check my sources and credit those who help me get the breaking news around the Islanders team.  I have always tried to put my own spin on the news around the team and be as objective as a rabid fan can be.  While I know I am not a professional or the guy to break a story, I do try and gather enough information to put out a comprehensive blog for Islander fans with prospect, minor league or NHL news.



Enough about me.  The purpose of this entry is to celebrate “knightofcups-bondi.blogspot.com” by giving credit to those who have helped me along the way over the past year and the 2011-12 NHL hockey season for your New York Islanders.



First, let me thank my Fiance, MaryBeth.  She is my soul mate and someone who always encourages me to reach for what I deem important.  I love you.




@7thWoman Dee Karl:  I see Dee as a big influence for me to write this blog.  As a fellow fan of the Isles, we share a common interest, but don’t really know each other on a personal level.  But that didn’t stop her from responding to emails, tweets and conversations we have had at games this season or giving me a mention on her blog or Twitter feed.  She has given me hints, tips and guidance to help me improve as a blogger.  I have always found her “NY Islanders 7th Woman” blog, informative and appreciate her unique perspective and insight.  That is why it was thrill for me to fill in for her for one game this season on her Blog Box post.  I love our hockey conversations and I will always be grateful to Dee for reaching out to me.



@ChrisBottaNHL Chris Botta:  Mr. Botta was someone who I met a few times at the NVMC when I worked for ESPN.  He always conducted himself in a professional manner and treated others well.  I enjoyed his coverage on Islanders Point Blank and was a loyal reader who respected his opinion and insights as it pertained to professional hockey and the New York Islanders.  I felt he had a unique perspective, having worked for the team in a public relations capacity for 15 years.  I found myself going to IPB before the Islanders official site on several occasions to read about breaking news.  IPB really helped me appreciate the value of an independent blog as a news source, and it was because of this that I have discovered so many more avenues for information than just the traditional media outlets.



@BDGallof B.D. Gallof:  As a reader of Hockey Independent, I know how B.D. covers the Islanders.  He is someone who doesn’t use spin or favor anyone or anything; he comes right at you.  Whether its on Hockey Independent, CBS or WFAN, you know his stuff is going to be thorough and well represented by the facts.  I sent B.D. and several other respected bloggers a note to check out my blog and if he had time, write me and give me his opinion about KoC.  He was the only one who answered and did so in only a few hours.  I appreciate this very much and took his suggestions to heart, especially the one on design by immediately changing the look and format of KoC that night as it still stands today.



@tonystabile  Anthony Stabile:  From supportive notes on Twitter to a one on one in the concourse at NVMC, Anthony has always been a great supporter.  He always manages to make time to give advice or encouragement when he thinks it is due.  His shout outs on Twitter for KoC are always appreciated and he will continue to be an inspiration to me as a sports writer.



@LHHockey Dominik Jansky:  I want to formally thank Dominik of Lighthouse Hockey for adding KoC to his “Isles Reading” feed.  Because of his gesture, my blog has seen higher traffic and has gotten more exposure.  Not to mention, he has one of the best blogs out there.



There are several other Hockey Writers and bloggers who have helped me by providing accurate information and interesting reports on the New York Islanders.  I have also enjoyed speaking to some of them on Facebook or Twitter.  I recommend that you check out this talented group of writers, bloggers and passionate fans for the perspective on the Isles, the NHL or whatever else they have to say.




Most of all, thank you to the thousands of you who come to KoC from time to time to actually check out what I have to write about.  With all the places you can go to spend your precious time, I am honored you spend some of it here with me and your New York Islanders.



Thanks,



Joe Bondi

Knight of Cups



MB and Me at the 2009 Draft Party as seen on islanders.nhl.com.





###
















Daniel Friedman@DFriedmanTFR  nyifaceoffcircle.com















CapGeek@capgeek


If I have omitted anyone, It wasn’t intentional and I am sorry. Please accept my thanks as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment