An independent blog on the New York Islanders, the NHL and AHL by a guy from New York.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Clearing the Air

It has been brought to my attention that my opinion on the NHL and Pittsburg Penguins’ decision to hold a press conference on Sidney Crosby’s health status could be construed as downplaying the seriousness of his health condition.

 If it was, I apologize.

 My intent was to bring focus on the plane crash that took the lives of several people in Russia.  I felt it was a more important news story, not just a hockey story that deserved more attention by the media in general.  I felt it would have showed more class to wait on the Crosby press conference.  Today would have been a better time to have it so it could have gotten the full focus of the hockey and non-sports world.

Recent history between the Penguins and Islanders aside, I realize the significance of Sidney Crosby to the NHL.  He is without a doubt, one of the best players in the world.  I would hate to see such a talented player have a career cut short by such a serious injury.  I do not think a head injury is something to take lightly, as evidenced by the articles I published over the past few months.  I felt that in addition to bad timing, the Crosby press conference really gave us nothing we didn’t know already. 

I am glad to see there is hope for his return and when it happens, it will be good for our sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment